From 1-3 December, around 1,500 European Liberal Democrats met in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, for the 38th Congress of the ALDE Party.
Here is a snapshot of some of the headlines from the Congress:
- 5 Liberal Prime Ministers (Mark Rutte, Xavier Bettel, Charles Michel, Miro Cerar, Juri Ratas), 3 European Commissioners (Violeta Bulc, Vera Jourova, Margrethe Vestager) and many party leaders visited and addressed the crowd at the Congress in Amsterdam. You can check a list of high-profile speakers here and watch all their keynote speeches and plenary debate participation here.
- Hans van Baalen MEP was re-elected as ALDE Party President and six Vice Presidents were elected to join him in the Bureau.Timmy Dooley (Fianna Fail, Ireland), Fredrick Federley (Centerpartiet, Sweden), Ilhan Kyuchyuk (MRF, Bulgaria) and Markus Loning (FDP, Germany) were re-elected for another mandate while Joanna Schmidt (Nowoczesna, Poland) and Annelou van Egmond (D66, Netherlands) were elected for the first time. Read more details and watch the live video of the announcement here.
- The ALDE Party political family grew once again as Iniciativa Liberal from Portugal, Partit Demokratiku from Malta, LDS from Bosnia and Pametno and GLAS from Croatia were accepted as new member parties. The Council also accepted that LDP Macedonia changed from affiliate to full member party and the Free Democrats from Georgia from full to affiliate. More details here.
- It was confirmed that the next ALDE Party Council meeting will take place in Sofia, Bulgaria, on 27-28 April 2018, it was also announced that the 2018 Congress will be held in Madrid, Spain, hosted by Ciudadanos.
- Congress delegates adopted many policy resolutions on a range of important and topical matters, such as Brexit, migration, security and defence, fake news, green solutions and transnational lists. You can read an overview of the main adopted resolutions here. All adopted resolutions can be found online at www.aldeparty.eu/resolutions.
- The ALDE Group in the Committee of the Regions, led by Bart Somers, launched the Celebrate Europe Day website aiming to mobilise local politicians and civil society for a large pro-European movement on Europe Day 9 May. Take a look the website here.
- The ALDE Party Individual Members held their Annual General Meeting during which the new Steering Committee was confirmed. Julie Cantalou stepped down as Chair of the Steering Committee and Thalia Ntoka and Chris Pyak took over as Steering Committee Co-Chairs. You can read everything about the activities of individual members at the ALDE Party Congress here.
- All the official pictures of the ALDE Party Congress can be found on our Flickr album.