"The European Union faces several severe crises at once. There is the persistent economic crisis, the refugee crisis, the terrorist threats and the geopolitical instability in our neighbourhood. The liberal Prime Ministers in the Council want to see these crises resolved in an effective and efficient manner. We see the European Parliament as a reliable partner to make this happen.
Both Council and Parliament have always worked best if there is a broad consensus among the pro-European groups. Therefore, we think it would be healthy if the three institutions – Council, Commission and Parliament - appropriately reflect the balance of power in European politics.
The European Parliament will choose a new President on the 17th of January. We are sure its members will make a wise choice. The European Parliament is an honourable institution that deserves to be headed by someone who combines vision with extensive experience and the ability to build bridges across political divides. With Guy Verhofstadt, we have an excellent candidate who has these qualities."
Watch the press statement by ALDE Party President Hans van Baalen MEP and Prime Minister of Luxembourg Xavier Bettel here.
- Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Luxembourg
- Miro Cerar, Prime Minister of Slovenia
- Lars Løkke Rasmussen, Prime Minister of Denmark
- Jüri Ratas, Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- Juha Sipilä, Prime Minister of Finland
- Andrus Ansip, Vice President, European Commissioner for Digital Single Market
- Violeta Bulc, European Commissioner for Transport
- Vĕra Jourová, European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality
- Cecilia Malmström, European Commissioner for Trade
- Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition
- Guy Verhofstadt, Leader of the ALDE Group in the European Parliament
- Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank