19 December - Liberal Leaders meet in Brussels ahead of European Council
Upon the invitation of ALDE Party President Sir Graham Watson MEP, the leaders of the European Liberal and Democrats parties of the EU have been invited to attend a meeting at the Cercle de Lorraine in Brussels, ahead of the European Council meeting.
Participants will include:
- Andrus Ansip, Prime Minister of Estonia
- Xavier Bettel, the newly-appointed Prime Minister of Luxembourg
- Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- Nellie Kroes, Vice President of the European Commission
- Olli Rehn, Vice President of the European Commission
- Karel De Gucht, European Commissioner
- Guy Verhofstadt, leader of the ALDE Group in the European Parliament.
Discussions will focus on the upcoming European Election campaign, including nominations for the post of EU Commission President, which close on the 20th of December.
Cercle de Lorraine
6 Place Poelaert
Due to time constraints, there will be no press conference after the leaders’ lunch at 14:00. Requests for individual interviews should be sent to ALDE Party Press Officer Catherine Hardy on +32 479 671142 or at firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 on Wednesday 18 December.
The ALDE Party is the influential European political party of the centre. It groups together 57 member, affiliate and observer parties of which 38 are in the EU. The ALDE Party also counts three EU prime ministers, six deputy prime ministers and eight European Commissioners among its ranks.