On Monday 10 January, a new Dutch government, led by Prime Minister Mark Rutte (VVD), was sworn in. The government consists of ALDE Party members VVD and D66 in coalition with Christian democratic parties CDA (Christian Democratic Appeal, EPP) and CU (Christian Union, EPP).
The new Ministers and State secretaries were sworn in by Dutch King Willem-Alexander in a hybrid ceremony, as some were quarantining following COVID-19 measures.
During his fourth consecutive term as Prime Minister, Mark Rutte will lead the first gender-balanced cabinet of the Netherlands. In addition to the Prime Minister’s seat, VVD also holds the portfolios of Justice and Security, Economic Affairs, Infrastructure as well as Asylum and Migration.
Leader of D66 and new Deputy Prime Minister Sigrid Kaag is the first woman to hold the role of Minister of Finance in the Netherlands. The party will also hold the portfolios of Climate and Energy, Education, Defence as well as Public Health.
The complete list of ALDE Party Ministers and State secretaries includes:
- Mark Rutte: Minister President and Minister of General Affairs
- Micky Adriaansens: Minister of Economic Affairs and Climate
- Mark Harbers: Minister of Infrastructure and Water State
- Dilan Yeşilgöz-Zegerius : Minister of Justice and Security
- Conny Helder: Minister for Long-term Care and Sport
- Liesje Schreinemacher: Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation
- Christianne van der Wal: Minister for Nature and Nitrogen
- Dennis Wiersma: Minister for Primary and Secondary Education
- Aukje de Vries: State Secretary Surcharges and Customs
- Eric van der Burg: State Secretary of Asylum and Migration
- Christophe van der Maat: State Secretary of Defence
- Sigrid Kaag: Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
- Robbert Dijkgraaf: Minister of Education, Culture and Science
- Rob Jetten: Minister of Climate and Energy
- Ernst Kuipers: Minister of Public Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Kajsa Ollongren: Minister of Defence
- Franc Weerwind: Minister for Legal Protection
- Gunay Uslu: State Secretary Culture and Media
- Alexandra van Huffelen: State Secretary Kingdom Relations and Digitalisation
- Hans Vijlbrief: State Secretary Mining
ALDE Party acting co-President Ilhan Kyuchyuk (MRF, Bulgaria) and ALDE Party Vice President Luis Garicano MEP (Ciudadanos, Spain) shared their congratulations.
“With the goal to lay the foundation for the next generation the country is in safe liberal hands and I am sure it will play a key role in the European Union,” Kyuchyuk said.
Congratulations to @VVD, @D66 and PM @MinPres for the formation of the new coalition government in the #Netherlands 🇳🇱. With the goal to lay the foundation for the next generation the country is in safe #liberal hands and I am sure it will play a key role in the #EuropeanUnion. pic.twitter.com/IFJbMET1zC— Ilhan Kyuchyuk (@ilhankyuchyuk) January 10, 2022
“A really highly qualified and energetic new government,” Garicano summarised.
Congratulations @MinPres on #RutteIV, a really highly qualified and energetic new government. Specially happy to see @RenewEurope Finance Minister @SigridKaag (another Renew EcoFin member to add to @c_lindner @BrunoLeMaire etc) and our MEP @LSchreinemacher . pic.twitter.com/exA1Huiwid— Luis Garicano (@lugaricano) January 10, 2022
As a result of the new government coalition, ALDE Party MEP Liesje Schreinemacher (VVD) will resign from the European Parliament to become Minister of International Trade and Development Cooperation. She will be replaced by Catharina Rinzema.
Congratulations to our partners @VVD & @D66 on the formation of the new 🇳🇱 Government, which is full of talented @RenewEurope family members!— Renew Europe (@RenewEurope) January 10, 2022
With @MinPres & @SigridKaag at the helm, we look forward to a strong Netherlands at the heart of a stronger, more competitive 🇪🇺. pic.twitter.com/P05YPez6AB
Photo credit: Renew Europe