On 17 March, liberal Environment Ministers and European Commissioner for Energy, Kadri Simson, met for the first-ever Environment Ministerial meeting ahead of the ENVI Council, hosted by the ALDE Party and Renew Europe group. The meeting was chaired by Dominique Riquet (MRSL, France) and Iskra Mihaylova (MRF, Bulgaria) MEPs.
The Ministers discussed and shared views on the items on the Council agenda, with a specific focus on the European Green Semester and the EU strategy on adaptation to climate change, which outlines a long-term vision for the EU to become a climate-resilient society. Moreover, they also discussed the carbon border adjustment mechanism as part of the European Green Deal and the transition towards sustainable sources of energy.
Commissioner Simson shared the ongoing work and upcoming plans of the European Commission when it comes to energy issues.
List of participants:
- Kadri Simson, European Commissioner for Energy
- Vladislav Smrž, Deputy Minister of Environment (ANO, Czech Republic)
- Artūrs Toms Plešs, Minister of Environmental Protection and Regional Development (Latvijas Attistiai, Latvia)
- Alda Ozola, Deputy State Secretary on Environmental Protection (Latvijas Attistiai, Latvia)
- Simonas Gentvilas, Minister of Environment (Liberal Movement, Lithuania)
- Iskra Mihaylova, MEP, Renew Europe Group Vice-President (MRF, Bulgaria)
- Dominique Riquet, MEP, Renew Europe Group Vice-President (MRSL, France)
- Pascal Canfin, MEP, Renew Europe Group, Chair of ENVI committee (Renaissance, France)
- Nils Torvalds, MEP, Renew Europe Group, ENVI coordinator (SFP, Finland)
Today, #ALDEParty and @RenewEurope organised an Environment Ministerial meeting ahead of tomorrow’s #ENVI @EUCouncil with the presence of 🇪🇺 Commissioner @KadriSimson. @ArtursToms @SGentvilas @vlada_smrz @AldaOzola @DominiqueRiquet @Iskra_Mihaylova pic.twitter.com/bHq630rOLN— ALDE Party (@ALDEParty) March 17, 2021