The ALDE Party is looking to recruit a new Secretary General to lead its Brussels Secretariat. The Secretary General provides strategic guidance to the party with a strong focus on strengthening member engagement. They will also proactively seek opportunities to advance the ALDE Party’s political mission in Brussels as well as in member states across the EU. They will be active in developing new platforms for communicating ALDE Party’s mission in fora across Europe. The successful candidate will be an inspirational team leader, who understands how to empower people and motivate teams to deliver outstanding results. They will be a good listener, a strategic thinker and politically astute professional, who has an ability to build communities, as well as enhance and consolidate networks. Qualities essential for this role include being open, engaging and committed to the values and mission of the ALDE Party. Reporting to the Presidency and the Bureau of the ALDE Party, the Secretary General is responsible for developing the Party’s strategy and executing a suite of political activities. The Secretary General manages Secretariat staff and finances, ensuring that governance and statutory events of the ALDE Party comply with the framework EU Regulation which governs political parties, and are in-line with current Belgian law.
- Developing and proposing the strategy of the Party, in line with the Bureau, to develop liberal policy ideas and solutions to key topical issues facing the ALDE Party and its members, with a view to the preparation of the next European elections.
- Managing the day-to-day work of the organisation and its finances.
- Managing the Heads of Units on a regular basis in line with the strategy of the Party and be responsible for leading the Secretariat’s team.
- Representing the Party and ensuring high-level contacts with member parties, partners, and groups in supranational assemblies.
- Monitoring political developments across Europe and providing strategic advice to the ALDE Party political leadership.
- Supervising the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of the political activities of the Party, as well as the organisation of its events.
- Engaging and supporting ALDE Party member parties, key politicians, and other stakeholders.
- Enhancing and evolving the organisational work culture and promote the professional and personal development of staff members, in collaboration with the Secretariat’s HR Manager.
- Must belong to an ALDE member party.
- Have a deep understanding of European politics and party politics, and a strong political acumen. Prior experience working in a liberal political setting at European, international, or national level is desirable.
- Have at least 10 years of experience managing organisations of a similar size, their staff members and budget.
- Hold a Master’s degree or equivalent.
- Must be fluent in English. The knowledge of other EU languages is an asset.
- Must be keen to travel regularly.
- Have experience working in a multicultural environment.
The Executive Search firm Dober Partners has been retained to draw up a shortlist of prospective candidates against the criteria set out in this document and using their discretion and expertise to recruit a new Secretary General for the ALDE Party Secretariat, together with ALDE Party's leadership.
The Secretary General will be based in Brussels. To apply, please send a CV and letter of motivation to [email protected] by 30 June 2023. For further information about this opportunity please contact: Natalia Kurop M: +32 488 945 579 [email protected]