The ALDE Party and Renew Europe Group hosted the 4th meeting of liberal ministers responsible for economics and finances ahead of the council meeting on 18 January 2022. The meeting was chaired by ALDE Party Vice-President, Luis Garicano MEP, and counted with the presence of Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank, and Senator Timmy Dooley, ALDE Party acting co-President.
The participants discussed and shared views on the items on the Council agenda, with a specific focus on EU’s economic governance framework and the proposed Council directive on ensuring a minimum level of taxation for multinational groups. Minister Bruno Le Maire shared an overview of the economic and financial priorities of the ongoing French Presidency of the European Council, which started in January 2022.
Moreover, the ministers welcomed Christian Lindner, Minister of Finance (FDP, Germany), Yuriko Backes, Minister of Finance (Democratic Party, Luxembourg) and Sigrid Kaag, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance (D66, The Netherlands) as new Ministers of Finance of our political family.
List of participants:
- Keit Pentus-Rosimannus, Minister of Finance (Reform Party, Estonia)
- Bruno Le Maire, Minister of Economy, Finance and Recovery (LREM, France)
- Christian Lindner, Minister of Finance (FDP, Germany)
- Yuriko Backes, Minister of Finance (Democratic Party, Luxembourg)
- Maria Kaisa Aula, State Secretary in the Ministry of Finance (Keskusta, Finland)
- Senator Timmy Dooley, ALDE Party acting co-President (Fianna Fail, Ireland)
- Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank (FDP, Germany)
- Luis Garicano MEP, Renew Europe and ALDE Party Vice-President (Ciudadanos, Spain)
- Gilles Boyer MEP, Renew Europe MEP (LREM, France)
- Sigrid Kaag, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance (D66, The Netherlands)
Earlier today, ministers from our political family and @EIB President Werner Hoyer met for our 4th #ECOFIN Ministerial to discuss key issues ahead of @eucouncil. Catch up with the meeting here, chaired by #ALDEParty Vice-President @lugaricano 🇪🇺 @RenewEurope pic.twitter.com/pyV4UElkgo— ALDE Party (@ALDEParty) January 18, 2022
It was an honor to preside over the pre-EcoFin of ministers of @RenewEurope @ALDEParty (@c_lindner @BrunoLeMaire @Yuriko_Backes @KeitPentus @AulaMK) and @timmydooley @GillesBoyer to advance towards a common position on EU econ governance and global minimum multinational taxation. pic.twitter.com/gA9v1sshks— Luis Garicano (@lugaricano) January 18, 2022