The ALDE Party and Renew Europe Group hosted the 5th meeting of liberal ministers responsible for economics and finances ahead of the Council meeting on 15 March 2022. The meeting was chaired by Luis Garicano MEP and ALDE Party Vice-President, who was joined by ALDE Party acting Co-President, Ilhan Kyuchyuk MEP.
The participants discussed and shared views on the items on the Council agenda, with a specific focus on the economic and financial consequences of the sanctions imposed on Russia after its military aggression against Ukraine. They stressed the need for unity and flexibility as well as bold action towards Russia.
Moreover, Garicano introduced a series of economic measures proposed by the Renew Europe group aimed at deterring Russian hostilities in Ukraine. The measures target Russian officials and oligarchs associated with Putin’s regime as well as those in Belarus associated to Lukashenko’s regime and include the full use of provisions of the anti-money laundering directive and a ban on exports of exports of key technologies and restrictions on imports and investments, in particular oil, gas, and coal.
List of participants:
- Annika Saarikko, Minister of Finance (Keskusta, Finland)
- Yuriko Backes, Minister of Finance (Democratic Party, Luxembourg)
- Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank (FDP, Germany)
- Ilhan Kyuchyuk MEP, ALDE Party acting Co-President (MRF, Bulgaria)
- Timmy Dooley, Senator and ALDE Party acting Co-President (Fianna Fàil, Ireland)
- Luis Garicano MEP, Renew Europe and ALDE Party Vice-President (Ciudadanos, Spain)
- Stéphanie Yon-Courtin MEP, Renew Europe MEP (En Marche, France)
- Keit Pentus-Rosimannus, Minister of Finance (Reform Party, Estonia)
- Bruno Le Maire, Minister of Economy, Finance and Recovery (LREM, France)
- Christian Lindner, Minister of Finance (FDP, Germany)
- Sigrid Kaag, Vice-Prime Minister and Minister of Finance (D66, Netherlands)
Earlier today, ministers from our political family met for a 5th #ECOFIN Ministerial to discuss key issues for @EUCouncil. Catch up with the meeting chaired by #ALDEParty VP @lugaricano 🇪🇺 @timmydooley @ilhankyuchyuk @AnnikaSaarikko @Yuriko_Backes @RenewEurope @s_yoncourtin @EIB pic.twitter.com/kBcniwDLak— ALDE Party (@ALDEParty) March 15, 2022