At the invitation of ALDE Party President Hans van Baalen MEP and Guy Verhofstadt MEP, leader of the ALDE Group in the European Parliament; liberal Prime Ministers and European Commissioners met at the Egmont Palace in Brussels on Thursday 14 December ahead of the European Council Summit of the same day.
For the first time - following the appointment of Andrej Babiš as Czech Prime Minister last week - the ALDE political family counts eight Prime Ministers making it the strongest political force in the European Council, together with the European People's Party.
At the ALDE Pre-Summit, Liberal leaders celebrated the success.
During the meeting, Liberal leaders listened to Andrej Babiš's priorities for the Czech government and an overview of the upcoming Bulgarian EU Presidency by Mustafa Karadayi, the Chairman of ALDE member party in Bulgaria MRF. They also discussed matters included in the European Council agenda, such as the state of play of Brexit negotiations, migration or defence.
You can watch below the arrivals of Liberal leaders to the ALDE Pre-Summit as provided by the European Commission:
Scroll through a sneak preview of the pictures at our event on our Flickr album:
The Liberal Pre-Summit was attended by:
- Andrej Babiš, Prime Minister of the Czech Republic
- Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Luxembourg
- Miro Cerar, Prime Minister of Slovenia
- Jüri Ratas, Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- Juha Sipilä, Prime Minister of Finland
- Andrus Ansip, Vice President, European Commissioner for Digital Single Market
- Violeta Bulc, European Commissioner for Transport
- Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition
Mustafa Karadayi, Chairman of Movement for Rights and Freedoms