Speaking following the announcement of the new government and ministerial postings in Finland, ALDE Party President Sir Graham Watson said:
“I am pleased to welcome Juha Sipilä to his post as Prime Minister. European Liberals and Democrats across Europe look forward to working with him and his Keskusta party in the years to come."
"Mr Sipilä joins the increasingly influential group of ALDE Prime Ministers in the European Council along with the Prime Ministers of Belgium, Estonia, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Slovenia, and I look forward to welcoming him to the next meeting of ALDE Prime Ministers ahead of the forthcoming European Council on 25 June 2015 in Brussels.”
“I also welcome the appointment of Olli Rehn, the former European Commissioner for Economic Affairs and one of the ALDE Party’s lead candidates at last year's European elections, to the post of Minister of Economic Affairs.”
Keskusta will hold the following ministerial posts and portfolios in the next Finnish government:
- Juha Sipilä, Prime Minister
- Olli Rehn, Minister of Economic Affairs
- Anne Berner, Minister of Transport and Communications
- Juha Rehula (2015-17) and Annika Saarikko (2017-19), Minister of Family and Social Affairs
- Kimmo Tiilikainen, Minister of Agriculture, Environment and Forestry
- Anu Vehviläinen, Minister of Local Government and Reform
Earlier this afternoon, Finnish lawmakers officially voted to appoint Keskusta leader Juha Sipilä as the country’s new Prime Minister. President Sauli Niinistö will formally confirm the new cabinet on Friday.