On 3 December, chaired by ALDE Party Vice-President Luis Garicano MEP, the ministers of our political family came together in Brussels to discuss Europe’s telecommunications agenda ahead of the Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council of the same day.
Digital challenges facing Europe were high on the agenda, and there was no doubt that 5G offers great opportunities that need to be monitored. According to the participants, the correct approach to 5G should be an EU coordinated approach, when it comes to security in particular.
When it comes to the the Digital Europe Programme, the ministers examined it in the context of the ongoing MFF negotiations. Future discussions are predicted to be difficult, however, as the priorities need to be set out first.
Digital Single Market was also widely discussed. While the benefits of the Digital Single Market are considered important, especially in the context of the EU's competitiveness, the fragmentation between Member States is still a reality.
“We all agreed that the target is to achieve a real Digital Single Market,” meeting chair Luis Garicano concluded.
Other topics under discussion included cybersecurity, digitalisation and SMEs.
Participants of the meeting were:
· Xavier BETTEL, Prime Minister, Minister for Communications and the Media, Luxembourg
· Philippe DE BACKER, Minister of Digital agenda and Telecommunications, Belgium
· Martina DLABAJOVA, MEP, Renew Europe Group Coordinator for the ITRE committee
· Luis GARICANO, MEP, Renew Europe Group Vice-President, ALDE Party Vice-President
· Petr OČKO, Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Czech Republic
· Rudi MEDVED, Minister of Public Administration, Slovenia